How to add Firefox to BionicPup offline?

Moderator: Forum moderators

phelix

How to add Firefox to BionicPup offline?

Post by phelix »

I recently installed VirtualBox and I'm running another lightweight distro as a virtual machine.
I didn't know that adding Firefox to this distro offline was impossible.

I'm an advanced Windows user, but I'm definitely a Linux newbie.

I downloaded the latest Firefox for Linux. It's a "tar.bz2" file. If I download BionicPup, will
I have any problems installing Firefox offline? Please keep in mind, I'll be running BionicPup
as a virtual machine on my Windows Desktop.

If there are no problems installing Firefox offline, I need the procedure. I hope it's simple.

(I build Desktops. If I download the BionicPup ISO, it will be copied to a folder on a pair of
RAID 0 drives. They are very speedy.)

Thanks guys.

Last edited by phelix on Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
amethyst

Re: Firefox and BionicPup

Post by amethyst »

phelix wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:14 am

I recently installed VIrtualBox and I'm running another lightweight distro as a virtual machine.
I didn't know that adding Firefox to this distro offline was impossible.

I'm an advanced Windows user, but I'm definitely a Linux newbie.

I downloaded the latest Firefox for Linux. It's a "tar.bz2" file. If I download BionicPup, will
I have any problems installing Firefox offline? Please keep in mind, I'll be running BionicPup
as a virtual machine on my Windows Desktop.

If there are no problems installing Firefox offline, I need the procedure. I hope it's simple.

(I build Desktops. If I download the BionicPup ISO, it will be copied to a folder on a pair of
RAID 0 drives. They are very speedy.)

Thanks guys.

The tarball file will contain all you need to run Firefox. So generally when you have Bionic running, just extract the tarball with a utility like Uextract (which you find in Bionic's menu) and run the Firefox executable from the extracted folder.

peebee

Post by peebee »

phelix wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:14 am

I have any problems installing Firefox offline?
Thanks guys.

Which version of BionicPup? 64-bit or 32-bit?

If BionicPup32, the best way to install Firefox is via the menu - Internet -> Get Web Browser
This will download and install an .sfs file
It can also be downloaded manually from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... /browsers/
and then installed off-line later using menu - SFS Load

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

:welcome: to Puppy Land!

The exact name of the Puppy version is very important.

Always give the exact full name of it.

Is it Bionicpup32 8.0? 32-bit OS

Is it Bionicpup64 8.0? 64-bit OS

Besides being different bit versions, other things are not exactly the same.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

phelix

Re: How to add Firefox to BionicPup offline?

Post by phelix »

Thanks amethyst, peebee, and bigpup.

BionicPup 32-bit is the version I will download.

peebee, almost immediately after posting my message, I found that link with a list of browsers.
It's nice to see sfs files for Firefox, Chrominum, and other browsers.

I have two questions. Near the top of the page listed below it says, "Minimal Light webbrowser
in adrv." Does the BionicPup ISO come with a lightweight browser? Is "adrv" an abbreviation
or an acronym?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... cpup32.htm

peebee

Post by peebee »

phelix wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:58 am

BionicPup 32-bit is the version I will download.

I have two questions. Near the top of the page listed below it says, "Minimal Light webbrowser
in adrv." Does the BionicPup ISO come with a lightweight browser? Is "adrv" an abbreviation
or an acronym?

Yes - Light48 which is an old cut-down, limited functionality, version of Firefox.

Neither - its a name - the name of the .sfs included in the .iso which contains Light48 browser. An adrv sfs is loaded automatically even on 1st boot. The Firefox (or any other browser) sfs could be renamed to replace Light48.

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

This explains the use of different sfs xdrv files in Puppy Linux.
The Puppy Linux OS is made up of these different SFS files.
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5818

adrv sfs is used usually to have the added programs that come in a Puppy version.

Light browser is in Bionicpup32, so that some browser is there, to be able to read some of the html based info files, in the doc directory.
It is a browser, that can be used for Internet browsing, but it is not very good to use.
It is too light a browser.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

" Is "adrv" an abbreviation or an acronym?"

A 'generic' abbreviation. Specifically, running BionicPup it refers to the file-system 'on storage' --in your case in the virtual drive-- with the name adrv_upupbb_19.03.sfs. [sfs is an acronym: squashed=compressed file-system]. Recommended reading, How Puppy Linux Works, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 827#p55827. Although rockedge suggests that post is an 'advanced topic', it actually pretty easy reading before you get to "Things that provide input to init and change the things it does:" and will help you visualize what is happening and why.

As peebee wrote, Light Browser is an old, cut-down, limited functionality, version of Firefox which, per bigpup, is "able to read some of the html based info files, in the doc directory." Once you have another web-browser you don't need it. But keeping it won't hurt: when not in use it requires little RAM. If you decide not to keep it, remember to open Menu>Setup>Default Application Chooser>All and [after changing the selection of Web Browser to your new Browser] change any other reference to it.
As peebee wrote, it is automatically loaded at boot-up. If you mount [Left-Click] bionicpup's adrv to 'View Contents" you'll find that it only contains Light-Browser. That's not always the case with other Puppys. To prevent it from automatically loading, you have to either delete it or rename it. [Recommend the latter in case you later change your mind]. The 'How...Works' post identifies the names of file-systems which will be auto-loaded. Using bionicpup32, you can pick any name not mentioned there. But no 'Puppy's' initrd looks for names beginning with numbers. So, for example, you could Right-Click>Rename and just add a '1'. The adrv will not be auto-loaded on next boot-up.

phelix

Post by phelix »

Your replies to my newbie questions are very good!

The first operating system I used with GUI was Windows. The first "computer" I ever built was
a project in an electronics hobby magazine. It was a pine board with copper nails. You soldered
resistors, diodes, and transistors to the nails. It really was a very primitive computer.

I'm saving this entire thread. The info you guys are providing is very useful.

Return to “Bionic”