BionicPup32 on USB flash drive does not save.

Moderator: Forum moderators

fisunov

BionicPup32 on USB flash drive does not save.

Post by fisunov »

I write my iso on my USB flash drive with this cp command (I hope it's okay or should I use dd?):
cp /home/user/Desktop/bionicpup32-8.0-uefi.iso /dev/sdb

Everything seems to be working like it supposed to but when I try to save changes/create save file it says something like this:

First shutdown: sanity check
saving to: sdb2
filesystem of sdb2: vfat
save file name: some_file_name.2fs
path (folder):
save file size: -some_three_numberKB (0mb)
file system inside save file: ext2

I reboot and nothing saved. I check sdb2 there no save file - sdb2 only contains folders EFI/boot/ and there some two .efi files. What should I do? Does it save itself on wrong partition or what can be problem?

wizard

Re: BionicPup32 does not save. please, help

Post by wizard »

Use this guide to create your bootable USB

viewtopic.php?t=5192

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

The savefile is too small by the way. 3KB will not suffice to put in a filesystem image. (Basically its just a filesystem stuffed inside a file)

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

The problem with the command you use is that it creates a READ-ONLY device, the USB-KEY, which is why you aren't able to write the SaveFile to it. If following wizards advice you follow the link to rockedge's post and use rufus (from windows) to 'burn' Bionicpup32 to a USB-Key, also follow rockedge's link "More about Rufus (advanced user topic) -> viewtopic.php?p=40522#p40522". That post provides a recipe for configuring Rufus to structure the USB-Key so that you can write a SaveFile or SaveFolder (latter recommended) to it.

There is an alternative you may find easier/less time consuming and/or avoid having to boot into Windows again. But you'll need a 2nd USB-Key. Since you have a boot-able version of Puppy, you can boot into it then follow this recipe, viewtopic.php?p=1788#p1788.

p.s. I also agree with Phoenix. As a 'newbie' --if you do not create a SaveFolder as the above two options permit-- I recommend that you create a SaveFile of at least 1.5 Gb. Once you've learned some of Puppys' 'tricks' you'll know how to operate with far less.

fisunov

Re: BionicPup32 on USB flash drive does not save.

Post by fisunov »

Thank you for all answers and for pointing me to right directions everyone. Somehow when I write something on forums and get some answers I end up quickly solving my problems even if I'm not exactly follow given instructions. I just managed to install Puppy on my 2nd USB flash drive by using this 2 flash drives method. I found on Puppy iso there is a tool/installer that actually allows to install Puppy on a 2nd flash drive with just couple of clicks. I think if I'm not mistaken it was this 3rd "Installer" option in "Setup" - "Puppy Installer", it didn't even require any Gparted use - very easy. And Puppy saved session to some folder/created save icon on desktop now. Sorry for bothering everyone.

mikeslr

Re: BionicPup32 on USB flash drive does not save.

Post by mikeslr »

You know, fisunov, that I'm so used to advising newbies who have UEFI computers that I forgot about Puppy's built in "Puppy Installer." :oops:
Thanks for reminding me. :D
I've edited the post I referred to above to provide a link to a post about using the Puppy Installer.

Return to “Bionic”