How to install obs in Bionicpup32?

Post by globule »

https://obsproject.com/wiki/install-instructions#linux

Assuming it's the top method for Ubuntu? Sudo apt doesn't work

bionicpup32-8.0

Feek

Re: How to install obs

Post by Feek »

sudo apt (most probably) will not work in this Puppy version.

Use Puppy package manager from the menu to install some other programs.
Update the database first (config button will offer it).

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

QuickPup64 can install obs flawlessly with flatpak. Just type this command on terminal then press enter. Follow the instructions shown on terminal properly.

Code: Select all

flatpak install obs
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@globule :-

I'd update the PPM (Puppy Package Manager), then see if you can find it in there. I've got OBS working nicely in the previous 32-bit Puppy, Xenial32-7.5. I'd be very surprised if you can't find it.

As Feek says- and you'll soon learn this if you stick with Puppy - Pups may be based on Ubuntu releases, but unlike the majority of Ubuntu re-spins, Puppy does a lot of things in the uniquely 'Puppy' way. Since we run as /root all the time, where's the need for 'sudo', hmm..?

:welcome: to the wonderful world of the "kennels"..!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

globule

Post by globule »

mistfire wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:00 pm

QuickPup64 can install obs flawlessly with flatpak. Just type this command on terminal then press enter. Follow the instructions shown on terminal properly.

flatpak install obs

bash: flatpack: command not found

Is what i get, do i need to install flatpack?

globule

Post by globule »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:00 pm

I'd update the PPM (Puppy Package Manager), then see if you can find it in there. I've got OBS working nicely in the previous 32-bit Puppy, Xenial32-7.5. I'd be very surprised if you can't find it.

As Feek says- and you'll soon learn this if you stick with Puppy - Pups may be based on Ubuntu releases, but unlike the majority of Ubuntu re-spins, Puppy does a lot of things in the uniquely 'Puppy' way. Since we run as /root all the time, where's the need for 'sudo', hmm..?

Mike. ;)

Hey Mike!

I've updated PPM, all i can find is Open Build Service? Do I need to add another repository?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

globule wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:15 am

Mike. ;)

Hey Mike!

I've updated PPM, all i can find is Open Build Service? Do I need to add another repository?

Heh. Oh, God.....if ONLY it were that simple.

Although Puppy has for years given its users access to the repositories of whichever distro it's based on, rather than use that distro's package management system, we've always gone our own way.

The PPM was developed at a time when the community was determined to do everything itself, and that meant building all its own software from scratch. Its dependency resolution has never been that good - it often "misses" things. Adding another repository CAN be done, but it's a nightmare.....involving manual editing of quite complex text files.

----------------------------------------------

There's 2 routes I can see out of this.

• Sc0ttman, a few years ago, developed a CLI-based package management system, called, simply, "pkg". Let me see if I can track down the thread for this....it may be over in the old, archived Murga-Linux forums:-

Yep; here we are:- https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 112927&i=1

This lets you add repos & stuff quite easily; it works rather like the Debian 'apt-get' system, only with a few quirks of its own.

• OR:- Ask about this in the appropriate sub-forum for the 'Bionics', here:-

viewforum.php?f=115

Somebody there ought to be able to push you in the right direction for finding, or getting a package sorted out for OBS. Can't help any further with this, TBH; I run very few 32-bit Pups these days, and 32-bit Bionic has never been one of my "go-to" Pups. There's plenty of folk that DO use it, however, so someone should be able to help.

Okay? Hope that helps, somewhat. Um; a thought. Do you have a specific reason for wanting OBS? I'm just wondering if anything else might do the same job for you....notwithstanding the fact that 32-bit versions of most things are becoming harder & harder to source nowadays, as everybody transitions over to 64-bit.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

globule

Post by globule »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:07 pm
globule wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:15 am

Mike. ;)

Hey Mike!

Heh. Oh, God.....if ONLY it were that simple.

Although Puppy has for years given its users access to the repositories of whichever distro it's based on, rather than use that distro's package management system, we've always gone our own way.

The PPM was developed at a time when the community was determined to do everything itself, and that meant building all its own software from scratch. Its dependency resolution has never been that good - it often "misses" things. Adding another repository CAN be done, but it's a nightmare.....involving manual editing of quite complex text files.

----------------------------------------------

There's 2 routes I can see out of this.

• Sc0ttman, a few years ago, developed a CLI-based package management system, called, simply, "pkg". Let me see if I can track down the thread for this....it may be over in the old, archived Murga-Linux forums:-

Yep; here we are:- https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 112927&i=1

This lets you add repos & stuff quite easily; it works rather like the Debian 'apt-get' system, only with a few quirks of its own.

• OR:- Ask about this in the appropriate sub-forum for the 'Bionics', here:-

viewforum.php?f=115

Somebody there ought to be able to push you in the right direction for finding, or getting a package sorted out for OBS. Can't help any further with this, TBH; I run very few 32-bit Pups these days, and 32-bit Bionic has never been one of my "go-to" Pups. There's plenty of folk that DO use it, however, so someone should be able to help.

Okay? Hope that helps, somewhat. Um; a thought. Do you have a specific reason for wanting OBS? I'm just wondering if anything else might do the same job for you....notwithstanding the fact that 32-bit versions of most things are becoming harder & harder to source nowadays, as everybody transitions over to 64-bit.

Mike. ;)

Thanks a lot, will try asking over in bionics - I want to use OBS to stream to youtube, seems quite easy and there's lots of documentation. I was thinking to dedicate this ancient PC i've resurrected with puppy!

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

globule wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:10 am
mistfire wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:00 pm

flatpak install obs

bash: flatpack: command not found

Is what i get, do i need to install flatpack?

I already said that flatpak was available on QuickPup64, a puppy linux derivative. Since you are using other Puppy, if you want hassle installation without harming the system. Just install flatpak if you are willing to sacrifice Gigabytes for downloading flatpak essential dependencies for the first time

Return to “Bionic”