No sound Youtube (Solved)

Moderator: Forum moderators

Mercedes350se

No sound Youtube (Solved)

Post by Mercedes350se »

(Hopefully for all time now!)

I decided to dust off my rtl dongle. It was relatively simple to get cubicSDR installed and running.

The issue I now have is that Youtube videos play without sound.

I have gone through as many checks as i can without success. I can play local videos with sound, woof-woof is there, etc.

I am running BionicPup 32 bit frugal install and seamonkey 2.53.6.

Last edited by Mercedes350se on Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
bigpup

Re: No sound Youtube

Post by bigpup »

Try entering this in a terminal to run seamonkey:

Code: Select all

apulse seamonkey

or

apulse seamonkey-bin

If seamonkey does not run.
you will need to make that command a little more specific to where the seamonkey exec file is.
A Pfind search should provide the location info.
One possible location is:
/opt/seamonkey/

the command would be:

apulse /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey

If youtube sound now works by starting seamonkey with apulse.

Tell us how you usually start seamonkey.
menu entry, desktop icon, etc....
Those can be edited to start using apulse as part of the start command.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Mercedes350se

Post by Mercedes350se »

Sorry bigpup but no cigar.

I start seamonkey by clicking on the desktop icon "browse" which goes to "default browser" which in turn starts seamonkey at /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey

This issue only started after installing and running cubicSDR ...

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

It was relatively simple to get cubicSDR installed and running.

Explain what you did to install?
Details??

It offers a appimage of cubicSDR you can use.
that may be the best way to use it.

Forum Global Moderator

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Mercedes350se :-

We can soon check this issue, if you don't mind some experimenting?

My two "current" Seamonkey 'portables' are at 2.53.7.1. I've just tried the 64-bit version (I'm in Bionicpup64 ATM), and sound plays back fine in YouTube. This uses the 'extralibs' directory, which I originally borrowed from Fred's portable Firefox a couple of years ago; this directory contains the 'apulse' libs from OscarTalks for sound, and the wrapper-script tells Seamonkey to use 'apulse' as it starts.

Try this:-

Download the 32-bit portable SeaMonkey from here:- https://mega.nz/folder/eKxwwYxJ#L3KllLzOJDtxPEHQNDrSKA It's either 2.53.7.1 or 2.53.8.....I'm not precisely certain ATM, but both should run fine in Bionic32.

When you've downloaded the tarball, unzip it, and move the portable SeaMonkey directory somewhere outside the 'save' - /mnt/home's a good choice; these portables keep their profile within the portable directory, so it's all self-contained. Click to open the 'portable', and click on 'LAUNCH' to fire SeaMonkey up.

Launch YouTube, & play something. Do you have audio?

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Mercedes350se

Post by Mercedes350se »

@bigpup, I had been trying to install gqrx but it threw up an error about pulseaudio. I should add here that this was via PPM. I cannot remember if I uninstalled any other packages with gqrx.

I installed rtl-sdr, then cubicSDR, then soapy(rtl something). This actually worked! After wasting a few hours tuning around closed cubicSDR and returned to seamonkey and found that, now, there was no sound on youtube vids.

@mikewalsh, Downloaded seamonkey and no sound.

As a matter of interest I did a pfind "apulse" and I have:

/usr/bin/apulse
/usr/lib/libpulse-simple.so
/usr/lib/libpulse-simple.so.0
/usr/lib/libpulse.so
/usr/lib/libpulse.so.0
/usr/lib/libpulsecommon-4.0.so
/usr/lib/libpulsecommon-5.0.so

UPDATE: I took the easy way out and am using a saved copy of my pupsave file and sound works. Scratch my head about cubicSDR ...

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I had been trying to install gqrx but it threw up an error about pulseaudio. I should add here that this was via PPM. I cannot remember if I uninstalled any other packages with gqrx.

that probably messed up something with apulse setup in Puppy.
Puppy does not have the complete Pulseaudio.
Just has what is needed files, to make sound work, in stuff that uses Pulseaudio.

Good example of easy fix.
Just use your backup save file/folder, you made, when all was working OK. :thumbup2:

Forum Global Moderator

Mercedes350se

Re: No sound Youtube (Again!)

Post by Mercedes350se »

Here "we" go again. I have another frugal install of BionicPup32 which with seamonkey 2.48 sound on youtube is perfect, but,
if I run seamonkey 2.53.10.2, you guessed it, it has no sound on youtube.

I have 2.48 in /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey and 2.53.10.2 in /mnt/home/seamonkey/seamonkey so it is easy to do an A - B test.

As an experiment I have run
apulse /mnt/home/seamonkey/seamonkey
but still no sound.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I've just checked Seamonkey 2.53.5.1 which I downloaded some time ago with Bionic32. No problem with sound playing youtube. Not using apulse, it just plays. I downloaded the browser from the official Seamonkey site. Things may have changed after this version.

Mercedes350se

Post by Mercedes350se »

Did exactly the same and sound all good.

It would be educational to know what has happened with later versions of seamonkey - I tried the latest with fossapup64 and no sound ...

As I edited the above sentence to include the "64" in fossapup I wondered if there is an incompatiblity issue with 32 bit seamonkey on 64 bit pup OS - something easy to check - stay posted.

EDIT: On fossapup64 the 32 bit seamonkey throws up error messages when started using the console (clicking on "seamonkey" does nothing) - so it seems that later seamonkey versions have an issue in both 32 and 64 bit OS.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Mercedes350se wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:57 am

Did exactly the same and sound all good.

It would be educational to know what has happened with later versions of seamonkey - I tried the latest with fossapup64 and no sound ...

As I edited the above sentence to include the "64" in fossapup I wondered if there is an incompatiblity issue with 32 bit seamonkey on 64 bit pup OS - something easy to check - stay posted.

EDIT: On fossapup64 the 32 bit seamonkey throws up error messages when strted using the console - so it seems that later seamonkey versions have an issue.

Did you use the 64-bit package with Fossapup (use 32-bit software wit 32-bit operating systems and 64-bit with 64-bit)? Also make sure that all instances of previous versions are removed. To test the new install, boot in RAM (without a savefile/folder).

Mercedes350se

Post by Mercedes350se »

amethyst wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:37 am

Did you use the 64-bit package with Fossapup (use 32-bit software wit 32-bit operating systems and 64-bit with 64-bit)? Also make sure that all instances of previous versions are removed. To test the new install, boot in RAM (without a savefile/folder).

To be quite honest I now have something that works ...

I suspect that versions later than/including version 2.10 has issues with youtube.

mikewalsh

Re: No sound Youtube (Solved)

Post by mikewalsh »

@Mercedes350se :-

Well, I confess, I don't understand your audio issue. Just fired-up 2.53.11 here in Fossapup64, and everything is working great; YT - video AND audio. Mind you, it could be Pulse/apulse-related; I always include the pulse libs with recent Mozilla builds, because they're now needed by most 'zilla-based offerings. Seamonkey, I'm never sure about; Nic has mentioned before that more recent Seamonkey's haven't needed the apulse stuff, but I take the view that I'd rather include it (and it not be needed) than the browser wants it & I didn't bother to add it in.

I've re-built the Seamonkey 'portables' in the new format - including Menu entry add/remove scripts, and upgraded them to the newest 2.53.11. I've uploaded them, & will link to them here as soon as Erik's forum upgrade has sorted itself out...

https://mega.nz/folder/XKRnTI6L#9Aav_adSRGIW2sqSzJUvFA

------------------------------------------------------

As always; d/l; unzip; move the 'portable' directory anywhere you like outside the save. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up. Scripts permit the addition of linked Menu entries if required.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

norgo

Post by norgo »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:17 pm

I'm never sure about; Nic has mentioned before that more recent Seamonkey's haven't needed the apulse stuff, but I take the view that I'd rather include it (and it not be needed) than the browser wants it & I didn't bother to add it in.

@mikewalsh
if you want to know whether seamonkey is needing apulse/pulseaudio or not, type about:support in the address line of the browser.
Search in section Media the line Audio Backend
in case of entry "pulse" apulse/pulseaudio is needed
in case of entry "alsa" it's not needed
This is depending on build configuration of seamonkey.
you can check the build configuration by typing about:buildconfig in the address line.
By default pulseaudio is enabled. For an alsa supported browser you should find -enable-alsa --disable-pulseaudio there.

Mercedes350se

Post by Mercedes350se »

Audio Backend - unknown
Preferred Channel Layout - unknown

This is with 2.53.11 32 bit seamonkey NO Sound

Now for 2.53.9.1
Audio Backend - pulse
Preferred Channel Layout - stereo Yay! Sound
and a whole lot of other stuff that means nothing to me

Mercedes350se

Post by Mercedes350se »

UPDATE: Uninstalled everything relating to the dongle - and for good measure everything else - downloaded/installed seamonkey 2.53.11.1 and I have sound.

Mercedes350se

Re: No sound Youtube (Again)

Post by Mercedes350se »

I decided to eventually move from 32 to 64 bit Bionic. Created a folder and placed the required files inside.

Booted up , made some personal changes and downloaded/installed the latest 64 bit seamonkey and latest 64 bit firefox to /mnt/home.

Start firefox, what the? No sound.

OK start seamonkey, you guessed it - no sound.

If it helps my system is a Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF running in legacy mode with a SSD with 4 partitions with various frugal installs. I have a large hosts file to block ads, firewall on and what else that may affect sound I have no idea.

Given that other forum members can run seamonkey with sound what is different on my machine that gives me so much grief?

Some time later! Downloaded/installed mikewalsh's FirefoxESR-portable64 and using LAUNCH there is sound!!!!

Tried starting from inside the firefox64 folder - no sound.

Where are the extra libs "copied to" using LAUNCH? or am I on the wrong "path"?

OK. Copied the files to /usr/lib and Voila!!!

Is that the correct location or was I just lucky?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

" downloaded/installed the latest 64 bit seamonkey and latest 64 bit firefox to /mnt/home...you guessed it - no sound... Downloaded/installed mikewalsh's FirefoxESR-portable64... Copied the [extra-libs] files to /usr/lib and Voila!!!...Is that the correct location or was I just lucky?" The former.

Fortunately, we are blessed with two mental systems: the analytic and the 'gestalt'. The analytic is language --we use it to communicate even when only engaging in the internal monologues we call thinking and reasoning. In the history of LIfe, it is relatively recent. 'Gestalt' is what produces feelings, guesses and intuitions. The gestalt uses all your inherited capabilities and all your experiences --including previously observed dialogs and internal monologues-- to jump to an understanding even if we haven't yet or can't reach a logical conclusion. Indeed, the evidence is that having reach a conclusion we then employ analysis and selective memory to justify it. That conclusion can be wrong and our subsequent rationalizations faulty. But it is sufficiently more often right that it provides a 'survival advantage'. Otherwise it would have died out and we wouldn't have it.

With the exception of a couple of recent Puppies, Puppies don't include the 'Pulse-Audio' system and its libraries. The original producers of 'Mozillas' and 'Chromiums' expect it to be present. Hence, no sound. As a 'work-around', Puppies have provided the simpler system, apulse. Those are the libraries Mike Walsh provides in the extralibs folder within his portables. But his Web-browsers still have to be instructed to use them. MikeWalsh has recently taken to structuring his portables the same way. I don't always use his builds. But I think my firefox64ESR is his. Opening the LAUNCH script in a text editor reveals this line:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/:$HERE/extralibs${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} "$HERE/firefox64/firefox" "$@" -profile "$HERE/profile"; colored for emphasis.

That tells the application to use the libraries it will find in the extralibs folder "HERE".

By copying those libraries to /usr/lib, you placed them in a location where all Puppies are constructed to look for libraries.
There was only two things potentially wrong with your 'gestalt' conclusion. The first rarely happens. Copying libraries to /usr/lib could have overwritten differently constructed libraries bearing the same name breaking applications which depended on them. The second did, but isn't fatal: just a waste of RAM and adds complexity to keeping your web-browser up-to-date with your preferred setting and addons.

Makers of Web-browsers expect that a User will have a Home folder on his/her Storage media and structure the customizations and addons to be written there; and the cache from websites stored there. But Puppies employ a 'merge-file-system-in-RAM' where the /root folder --your Home folder-- is created anew on each boot-up. If you're operating under PupMode 13 (Puppy boots from a USB-Key, or 'thinks' it is) the changes you make are not preserved unless you execute a Save. More importantly, however, during you session web-cache --the files a website downloads and stores on your computer so that it doesn't have to do that again the next time you look at the web-page-- builds up in RAM. With graphic-rich websites, you can use the 'rule of thumb' 100 Mbs per web-page. The RAM you have available for actual work can be quickly lost.

MikeWalsh's portables avoid that. The LAUNCH script creates a folder named 'profile' within the portable folder. The above quoted line instructs the Web-browser to use that folder for storing addons, settings and web-cache. There's another benefit to MikeWalsh's portables. You can update them and because they are not in 'Puppy-Space' doing so does not require a Save.

But even if (like what happened with Palemoon) firefox and seamonkey for some reason can no longer auto-update, if MikeWalsh's portables hasn't yet provided a new version, there's a good chance that you can 'roll your own' unless firefox or seamonkey radically changes how they do things. See this post, and use the attachment provided, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 470#p42470

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

This information may help you understand some things about software.

Installing Additional Software
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=1819

Forum Global Moderator

Mercedes350se

Post by Mercedes350se »

mikeslr wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:59 pm

<snip>
Opening the LAUNCH script in a text editor reveals this line:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/:$HERE/extralibs${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} "$HERE/firefox64/firefox" "$@" -profile "$HERE/profile"; colored for emphasis.

That tells the application to use the libraries it will find in the extralibs folder "HERE".

By copying those libraries to /usr/lib, you placed them in a location where all Puppies are constructed to look for libraries.
There was only two things potentially wrong with your 'gestalt' conclusion. The first rarely happens. Copying libraries to /usr/lib could have overwritten differently constructed libraries bearing the same name breaking applications which depended on them. The second did, but isn't fatal: just a waste of RAM and adds complexity to keeping your web-browser up-to-date with your preferred setting and addons.

<snip>

Most of the extra libs exist - in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

Since my post I thought that I should have symlinked them ...

Doesn't answer two questions though.

1. Why do some forum members appear to not have the problems with 'zilla browsers that I do?

2. Why are the libs not in /usr/lib when puppy is first installed - is it to suit palemoon?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Welcome to Linux software and especially the messed up coding of web browsers.

Those things are constantly changing and constantly changing what they need for support dependency stuff.

One thing is Bionicpup is getting old and it does not have newer versions, of some of these dependency files and programs, the latest versions of web browsers want to use.

A lot of the browsers are coded, thinking you are going to have the latest versions of everything, needed to make them now run.

Really should try to use a newer version of Puppy Linux.

If you like Bionicpup. Fossapup64 9.5 is basically the same, but much more updated, with a lot of improvements.

Browsers in general.

you have a much better chance of getting an updated version, from a topic in this forums Additional Software -> Browsers

Stuff there is compiled for Puppy Linux or will have needed info for getting it to work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One browser I have used, from time it was first released, is Pale Moon.

It was started by people that did work on Firefox, but did not like the way Firefox was going, in it's development.

Pale Moon has an internal update feature.

I have used it in many different Puppy versions and it just works.

Plus they seem to understand, that you may not have the latest version of dependency stuff.

Forum Global Moderator

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Doesn't answer two questions though.

1. Why do some forum members appear to not have the problems with 'zilla browsers that I do?

2. Why are the libs not in /usr/lib when puppy is first installed - is it to suit palemoon?

Bigpup basically answered your question. But just to be clear. The 'extralibs' weren't needed when bionicpup was first published. They were when fossapup was. In fact, MikeWalsh had to modify the LAUNCH script --add an 'if...else' routine-- so that fossapup wouldn't use the libs in the 'extra-libs' folder as they were older and conflicted with those 'built-into' fossapup.

The original publishers of web-browsers do so for the 'Major-distros'. And when they publish an up-grade, they do so with computers having the latest hardware in mind. Puppy 'Devs' have to rebuild those to work with Puppys.

Unlike bigpup I don't suggest 'up-grading' to Fossapup64-9.5 just yet. Stick with Bionicpup64 a little longer. Fossapup64-9.6 is 'in testing'. Even if it doesn't become 'the official' Puppy, even at this stage of its development, it adds many improvement, not the least of which is it is more-RAM efficient.
So does the 'Slacko' S15Pup, also currently 'in testing'.

Mercedes350se

Post by Mercedes350se »

mikeslr wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:05 pm

<snip>
The original publishers of web-browsers do so for the 'Major-distros'. And when they publish an up-grade, they do so with computers having the latest hardware in mind. Puppy 'Devs' have to rebuild those to work with Puppys.

<snip>

Answers it all I think.

Return to “Bionic”