How to get wine working in bionicpup64?

Moderator: Forum moderators

Dingo

How to get wine working in bionicpup64?

Post by Dingo »

Woof woof. What wine version should I use in bionicpup64? I tried several listed in wine thread on forum, but after installing, I type

Code: Select all

wine

in terminal and nothing happens. Can I ask what package are you using to get it working?

mikewalsh

Re: What wine pet package for bionicpup64

Post by mikewalsh »

@Dingo :-

See here:-

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=1754

This just "works". Follow the instructions carefully, though it's actually pretty simple.....just gotta create a few sym-links, basically. I'd advise keeping the actual AppImage outside the 'save'; it's nearly 300 MB in size.

The later WINE 5.11 works nicely in all the 64-bit Pups in my 'kennels'.....including BK's old Quirky64 "April" 7.0.1, which I could never get WINE to run in the way we normally do it.

It's good stuff! (And the easiest way I've yet come across to run WINE in 64-bit Puppies.)

Hope that helps!

(When using WINE, the way to run any Windows app is to enter in the terminal:-

Code: Select all

wine /path/to/your/.exe/file

Once you've got the hang of it, you can run up a few scripts as "launchers", then drag 'em onto the desktop and tart them up with an icon, etc.)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Dingo

Re: How to get wine working in bionicpup64?

Post by Dingo »

@mikewalsh this wine appimage works, but it seems very unstable while running a 32 bit windows application (Er Finestra) that, under wine 0.9.22, in puppy 3.01, was running flawless. Moving the .exe dialog windows of application around the screen is many times difficult and many times I experienced x server rebooted. Why these wine versions from this thread viewtopic.php?f=142&t=103 seem not working on modern puppies like bionic?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Dingo :-

O-kay. Well, obviously, just because it works for me doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for other folks. That's a shame it doesn't do what you want, because everything I use it for runs flawlessly.....and trister, who found it, says it works very well for him, too.

A lot, I think, is going to depend on the Windoze prog/app you want to use; I have to assume they're not all built the same way!

Bionic64 gave ME a LOT of issues; so many, in fact, that I voluntarily quit using it. I run newer Pups, I still run older Pups.....but THAT one was just SO much trouble (both on the old desktop & this new one) that I said "Sod it."

I don't blame Phil. Must have just been some incompatibility between my hardware and certain core parts of Bionicpup64, because it never would BEHAVE itself. It seems to work fine for everybody else.

(I took the view, "Why struggle?" There's so many other Pups to choose from, I wasn't giving myself grief just because it was the "official" Puppy at that time. Plenty of other fish in the sea.....)

-----------------------------------------------

So. Let's see if we can't sort you out. Before switching to this AppImage throughout the kennels, I had 'conventional' WINE running nicely under Xenialpup64. What, exactly, is giving you trouble with 'normal' WINE?

(I would use version2013's wine 3.3_v2.1. But before you install it, you first have to load the 32-bit compatibilty SFS, and set THAT up, because this is a 32-bit version of WINE.....yes?)

Mike. ;)

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

@mikewalsh I'll update this post with xerrs.log that can be useful for others running my same hardware (Lenovo Thinkpad L440) and same puppy version (Bionicpup64) since running several wine apps cause that, after some time, x server crashes.

For now, I ended up with booting Xenialpup 32 bit that has no issues with ancient wine 0.9.22 used in puppy 3.01. It is a wine version perfectly tailored on my needs not too gigantic like latest. Ideally, I would use wine to run this ancient 32 bit windows app, er finestra, a very good text to speech for italian language without, however, direct mp3 output, so, I need a way to capture soundcard output directly, bypassing mic, but I'll continue on an already opened by me thread for this.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

No worries, mate.

You know as well as I do, that in every online community like ours there are always folks who insist on running the very newest of everything, ALL THE TIME. I only apply this principle to anything that faces the internet.

And then there are those, like you & me, who through experience know that certain older items work far better for them than the newer versions! (It's why I stuck with WINE 1.7.51 for a long time, before 3.3 came along...)

It's also the reason, I feel, that many of us run more than one Puppy; one will work better for some things than another will.....and vice versa.

Mike. ;)

Grey

Post by Grey »

Hi Dingo. Try this one viewtopic.php?p=19364#p19364. 5th versions of Wine work well in bionic, especially version 5.4.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Bionic”