Run ImageMagick in BionicPup64 ?

Moderator: Forum moderators

Geek3579

Run ImageMagick in BionicPup64 ?

Post by Geek3579 »

Imagemagick is a fabulous tool I would use more often if it could be run on my go-to Puppy OS, which is BionicPup64 with LXDE in ydrv.

At the moment I flick the files to an LXScPup64 on another device, or TwisterOS on a Paspberry Pi4. Both run Imagemagick fine, but all the to-ing and fro-ing of the files is annoying. I have tried both an appimage and PPM version of Imagemagic, but when I run "where is convert" in the terminal, there is no result.

So, has anybody been able to run Imagemagick in Bionicpup64 or Fossapup64, and if so can you share what needs to be done, please?

OscarTalks

Re: Run ImageMagick in BionicPup64 ?

Post by OscarTalks »

The problem may be arising from the fact that Ubuntu and Debian have a policy of splitting up packages into smaller packages of different names. The convert executable is included in a package named graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat so you should try installing that via PPM. I have never tried to run ImageMagick myself, the only reason it rang a bell with me was because I remember the "convert" executable being needed as a build-time dependency when compiling something, so I had to go and investigate which package it was provided by.

taersh

Post by taersh »

Newer imagemagick binaries have changed their names.
The name for convert is convert-im6.q16.
All binaries do have the suffix -im6.q16 in their names.
I just made all the necessary symbolic links like e.g. convert pointing to convert-im6.q16 and so on.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

The method suggested by OscarTalks seems to work well. Thanks so much !! :D

For the record I loaded up a fresh instances of Imagemagick and graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat in BionicPup64 from the PPM, and tested installation by using "whereis convert" in a terminal. It was so easy !

Because graphicsmagick_1.3.28 was installed and the "gm" command from graphicsmagick (see http://www.graphicsmagick.org/GraphicsMagick.html) seemed to work, I presume that both imagemagick AND graphicsmagick are fully operational, which seems a bit odd, since the latter is derived from the former...but as they say, never look a gift application in the mouth!

Return to “Bionic”