Any problems with using apt instead of PPM?

Moderator: Forum moderators

steeve

Any problems with using apt instead of PPM?

Post by steeve »

I've been using Ubuntu for years on a vps. I recently put PuppyLinux Bionic 64 on a usb key for doing web development programming projects. Im more familiar with cli so I installed apt package with missing deps (libapt-pkg.so.5.0). Now is there issues to foresee if I start installing new packages with apt instead of PPM?

01101001b

Re: Using apt instead of PPM

Post by 01101001b »

Hi @steeve!

steeve wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:13 am

I've been using Ubuntu for years [..] Im more familiar with cli so I installed apt [...] Now is there issues to foresee if I start installing new packages with apt instead of PPM?

Absolutely. In the worst scenario, you'll mess your system. In the best one, apt won't work :(
For those who are more familiar with cli and apt tool, there is an "alternative" to PPM but I'm not aware of Puppy Bionic 64 bringing it or not. Hope this helps! :thumbup2:
Regards!

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

This is kind of a Puppy version of apt-get coded to how Puppy works and the Puppy filesystem.
This is a specific coded for Puppy program.

Pkg - CLI package manager
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112927
(this is the old forum topic, but it gives needed links)
This is actively being improved and tweaked.

Give it a try.

Make sure to download and install the latest version.

If you want to use Fossapup64 9.5
Pkg is already installed in it.

Understand that Puppies file system is not exactly 100% standard Linux layout.
Some things are done the Puppy way.
With newest Puppies. They now follow or have setup all the locations that are normally in a Linux file system.
So , something not specifically coded for Puppy, should at best, be placed in the file system, where it is expected and should run.
Needed dependencies is sometimes another issue.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

pkg-cli is on my Bionicpup64. But I'm not certain it was 'builtin' as I've made some modifications. Bigpup's post provides a link to the pkg-cli thread. Tthe first post of that thread may provide a link to the latest version. [ :idea: Do wish when posts are edited/updated the poster would note the current date]. Sc0ttman has included several improvements since starting that thread. Do read the thread for instructions and tips, and how to deploy the tar.gz package. I believe the most recent version can be obtained from the link here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 71#1048171

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Any problems with using apt instead of PPM?

Post by rockedge »

Here is the most recent Pkg. Clone or download (and extract) then run ./installer.sh

https://gitlab.com/sc0ttj/Pkg

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I didn't have time to find this post which, I hope, will help any who are new to Pkg-cli. viewtopic.php?f=85&t=717. Two things from that post are worth repeating:

"I don’t really consider it a “cli” since the ‘help’ command presents arguments so that I don’t have to memorize them. Just open a 2nd terminal so that you can read the argument format in one while entering/editing them to your needs in the other. :D Maybe cut & paste will also work. :idea:...

In order to use or update pkg-cli, you may have to use Puppy Package Manager to install git and its dependencies. Under bionicpup64, these were git_2.17.1-1ubuntu0.7_amd64.deb, git-man_2.17.1- 1ubuntu0.7_amd64.deb and liberror-perl_0.17025-1_all.deb. Your system may require something else...Without git, you can not install the latest version of pkg-cli: that is you can not execute the following command given on the above web-page: "(extract then run 'installer.sh).'"

666philb

Post by 666philb »

mikeslr wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:30 pm

I didn't have time to find this post which, I hope, will help any who are new to Pkg-cli. viewtopic.php?f=85&t=717. Two things from that post are worth repeating:

"I don’t really consider it a “cli” since the ‘help’ command presents arguments so that I don’t have to memorize them. Just open a 2nd terminal so that you can read the argument format in one while entering/editing them to your needs in the other. :D Maybe cut & paste will also work. :idea:

In order to use or update pkg-cli, you may have to use Puppy Package Manager to install git and its dependencies. Under bionicpup64, these were git_2.17.1-1ubuntu0.7_amd64.deb, git-man_2.17.1- 1ubuntu0.7_amd64.deb and liberror-perl_0.17025-1_all.deb. Your system may require something else...Without git, you can not install the latest version of pkg-cli: that is you can not execute the following command given on the above web-page: "(extract then run 'installer.sh).'"

hi @mikeslr git is in the devx of all pups

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks phil,

Downloading the devx.sfs and then SFS-loading it is probably much better/simpler. I didn't know that since I don't compile applications, and compiling until recently was the primary reason to have devx.sfs on/available to one's system. Will amend my above-referred to post.

steeve

Post by steeve »

Well turns out that apt needs to have sources set up,. the good news is that PKG is installed and ready on my BionicPupppy 64. So I will use that instead. thnx

Return to “Bionic”